Saturday 1 November 2014

Shabbat Music Break

Welcome back National Blog Posting Month.

I would like to say that I've missed you, but frankly it would be a lie. Thirty posts in thirty days. A herculean task to be certain.

I will have more to say about NaBloPoMo tomorrow, but since the month is beginning on a Saturday, my sabbath, I will continue my practice of music breaks on these days as a way of separating the sacred from the profane. (Although it is quite possible that many of you may find my choice in music an expression of profanity.)

This year I decided that Shabbat Music Breaks would focus on what I see is the travesty that continues to be the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's lack of female content in their performer inductees. All of the Shabbat Music Breaks for NaBloPoMo will be women whom I believe have been sorely overlooked by the Rock Hall for far too long, while lesser (my opinion) male fronted acts have been celebrated far too soon.

Today I give you Joan Jett, who is finally on this year's short list for induction.

Active since the early 70s and still touring today, it isn't a stretch to call Joan one of the Queen's of Rock and Roll. Her feminist lyrics and hard-driving guitar styles have made her a role model for women in the industry for more than 40 years. Here's hoping for a successful and long overdue induction to the Rock Hall this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment